"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Weekend Sale

It's late Sunday night. After a much needed nap this afternoon, company from Ontario came by and I was prepared with a delicious boysenberry pie brought all the way from the MCC Sale in Fresno.
The West Coast Mennonite Sale and Auction for World Relief just celebrated it's 45th year! We felt very much at home in this setting as it is not unlike the one hosted in Abbotsford every September.
This yearly event is a means to raise funds through generous donations to be sold or auctioned and given directly to MCC. In turn, MCC uses these funds to give aid to people around the world, in the name of Christ.
The sale was held on the Fresno Pacific University campus. We went there on Friday morning to check out the venue. Our hearts went out to the volunteers who had to do set up in the rain. It made for last minute changes and having to be flexible.

We dashed in and out of the rain . . .

and dealt with traffic slow down as a result of the unusual downpour.



Undaunted, our Seattle girl . . .  Ellen, was wonderful at getting us around.
 
Our "story time" on Friday night was moved indoors to the cafeteria, where we also had the opportunity to do a cooking show on Saturday morning.

By Saturday afternoon the sun was out. We had a chance to leave our signing table for a while to look around and get some lunch.

We took note of the beautiful campus and a great feeling of community.
 
We chose a nice sunny bench to have our Borscht.
Highlights for us included sharing our story, witnessing a number of cookbooks get actioned off, including one for $1000 (going directly to the orphanage greenhouse project) and meeting new friends! The warm welcome and care given to us by Kevin and Rose was exceptional.



And not a moment was wasted as we deliberated and made plans for the future . . . almost to the last moments of landing on home soil again.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

Sounds like it was a successful trip! Glad you had a good time.

Lorrie said...

What a great place to share your story. Which of you would have ever dreamed your cooking blog could have such a kingdom impact? God took your skills and willingness and is using them for his glory!

ellen b. said...

Anneliese I really enjoyed your photos, too. The collage is so nice. Glad that boysenberry pie made it through the security check and customs! Woohoo!!

Trish said...

wooot wooot...pie all the way from Fresno. Glad to stop by here and hear all the adventure and enjoy the photos. You will want to rest now for a bit....or are you off on another adventure soon?

Judy said...

A wonderful re-cap, Anneliese! So glad that pie made it home safe and sound.

Are you in recovery mode today?

Beck's Bulletin said...

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend...can hardly wait to catch up!

Karin said...

Pie from Fresno - cool that it wasn't confiscated by security for their coffee break!! Looks like a fabulous sale - love those quilts!

Patty Patterson said...

Do you sell the aprons? I really like them.

Glenda said...

What a wonderful way to share God's love! Those beautiful quilts caught my eye immediately! And I, too, am interested in purchasing an apron if you sell them. God bless your ministry!

Pondside said...

Plans for the future?....you girls have the best energy!

Kathy said...

I really enjoyed looking through the photos on this post. I still am amazed at how our book has drawn so much interest and God is using us in this way. Great post of your time together....I can imagine the excitement and fun you had. The rain did not seem to dampen your spirits.

Miss Debbie said...

Sounds like you were blessed as well as being a blessing! I know your obedience to do what God has called you to do is a sweet fragrance to Him and to His people. And I know it brings you great joy!

Lovella ♥ said...

I loved your retelling of the story! I'd do it all over again...even with the rain. You took some wonderful photos.

Betty said...

Looks like it was a fun time in spite of the showers!

Rachel - De Ma Cuisine said...

It was wonderful to meet you! My mom-in-law posted that photo that you were in, and tagged me in the background. :) Jody's mom saw it and told me that she was a friend of yours. Yes, what a small world! Jody and I have been friends for 10 years now! I have such wonderful memories of our year at school together. :)

Glad you got to take some pie home with you! We've been enjoying ours for the past week.