This week I’m hauling out my boxes. Over the years I’ve realized that the best thing is to always put everything back into the same box it came from. With that in mind, when I clear off space to decorate in November, I put those items into the co-ordinating box that I take that decor out of. So now, when I take down the décor, say, on the fireplace, the items that go on the fireplace during the year are inside the fireplace decor box. I don’t have to find them elsewhere. Maybe this is something everyone has always done, but it took me longer to figure out.
Another time saver is it to put the extension cable and lights with each garland. If the lights can stay on, even better, but it’s nice not to have to look for extension cables next time. If you don’t do this someone in the house will find some use for them during the year and you may not find them when you need them.
As I take things down, I use the opportunity to dust or wipe down places that I don’t do on a regular basis. For example, wiping down the banister and spindles is as good a time as ever when you’re already taking down the garland. High, hard to reach places, windows and ledges can use a quick dusting or cleaning while you’re up there.
10 comments:
Exactly the way I do the cleanup after Christmas..
Me too!
I'm on the same page...and even the extension cords...because otherwise the would be in the shop or barn...
I love the word squeaky clean and that's what I will be working on this weekend.
Happy last day of Christmas/12th Night/Kings Day/Ephiphany.
I do just like you do...and find photos help me remember how I had things placed.
It feels good to clean up and for some reason, I always want to put out a bowl of lemons after the Christmas red and green is gone. Just seems fresh to me.
word verification was hollys!
That's how I do it too. It took me a month and a half to put it up .. and two days to take it down. I put all my extension cords in one container this year. Usually I struggle to find them but I bought enough extra this year and even we should have no trouble locating one.
I did notice this morning with the sun shining that I've missed a few fingerprints. It is tempting to leave them. . maybe I'll wipe around them.
Exactly the way I always said I would do the cleanup.
Anneliese I admire your productivity and organization skills very much. You remind me of Martha Stewart.
anon1
Oh boy. .. I hope I don't end up in jail. =)
All the excitement of getting ready for the celebration, and then how quickly it is all over. Thanks for the tips...that is how I do it as well...although this year I kept the decor very minimal, so that made it easier as well.
If you do wind up in jail...I'll do my Christian duty to come visit you. Actually, that sounds kinda of fun!
word verification: funconsi
fun convict, si?
It's down...for the most part. And my cords get packed in the boxes with the lights...along with notes as to which ones get plugged in to which timer. And notes to tell me what I want to change for next year...because by next year I have long forgotten.
And once the decorations are down...I like to buy one non-Christmas floral plant.
Post a Comment