Her world is small. The map in her mind is the town she lives in, with no way of understanding how it fits into a bigger map. Conversations are limited to family, homemaking and what she’s heard. Old Recipes were memorized long ago and new ones deserve a quick call to review. She recognizes groceries by color and packaging. She’s never written on a calendar or organized a photo album. She has never written a card.
It hit me one day when she asked me to write a thank you card to each of her children. I obliged and, wanting to make each card special, asked her what specific things she would like me to say to each son or daughter. Her response was, “You know.” In other words, as a mother to a mother . . . you must surely know what you would want to thank your grown children for.
At first I was flustered. And then it slowly came to me that she really has never expressed what she's held inside, in words. Maybe that is why on those rare occasions when she prays out loud, she cries. For the first time, I put myself into her shoes and my heart hurt for her, at what she has missed.
I came to recognize how reading is a stepping stool to help me sort my thoughts. It’s a guide, a starting point, to read what’s on my own heart and then express those words. I realized that it’s a gift to use and practice. The woman I mention has an excuse, but most of us don’t. So, take a chance, and don’t be afraid to use the gift of reading and writing.
10 comments:
Yet God planned her days. She cannot read or write, she must hear of God and His ways are written on her heart in a language that is unique to her.
I guess she, like many, could have been taught reading skills even this late in life. Would it change her like others who read and learn of God late in life change?
I think you have said beautifully what those of us who blog have been blessed to experience. Some may have private journals and are able to express their thoughts and heart cries there. . .but for someone who knows how to read and write .. and say they cannot. . .I don't understand.
One woman said to me. . .I will die someday and I will have never written anything special. . about my life. .
My word verification is booksubs. .
It's hard to comprehend not being able to read or write! You brought up a really interesting aspect that I've never thought of before, about the inability to express emotions because they've never been put into written words. That's something to ponder.
I can hardly imagine myself in her position...words are such an important part of my life. Though I may not always have them at the tip of my tongue...it's often easier to write them out later. Today you have reminded me of how blessed I am...to be able to read the words...and write them...anytime I choose.
Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew were some of my favorite reads long ago!
Hi Elsie,
I think what hit me is that reading helps your understand your own emotions ... it shows how others express their feelings.
Not that someone who doesn't read can't express their feelings... but in this case... life was just too busy to even try and by the time she wanted to, she coudn't. With numerous moves ... it wasn't obvious to the general public, because they just thought she couldnt't read Russian or Spanish ... or English ... no explanations needed... she could get away with it. It's like a handycap that makes you stronger in other areas and you learn to live with it.
I can't image life without reading. I remember my first visit to the library in first grade (I checked out Dan Frontier) and couldn't believe it when the librarian told me I could take it home! Thank you for reminding me not to take this gift for granted.
Jerri
I remember my mother tutoring various people in our home while I was growing up. First she tutored our new neighbor who was from Vietnam, she was learning English. Then she tutored another woman, also from Vietnam. But then there was the time when she tutored a man who went to our church, and he had simply never learned to read or write. I thought it was strange then, but now as an adult...I understand what a simple but profound gift my mother, an avid reader, gave to these people in her life.
For me writing is one of the best medicines! Thank you for your beautiful post that reminds me of the gift of being able to write down and express my thoughts.
God has given us many ways to express our feelings. God made each of us unique and lovingly allows us to express ourselves in our own way. I love how she expressed to you that she knew that your mother hearts would have many similar thoughts and feelings, and she trusted that you could feel her heart as you allowed yourself to get to know her and you heard her. She herself could not record her life, but look at the blessing and joy you are receiving in passing on what you have and are learning through her life.
I can't imagine not being able to read labels, recipes, the bible, books...or not being able to write a simple little card. Those are both avenues of expression, learning and communicating that we take so forgranted. I'm sure she learnt things and expressed things in her life in ways that we never could. Her life has left a story....a story she has lived and talks about, a story ask about and you write about.
Kathy (MGCC)
Thank you for reminding us of the GIFT of literacy. I have never really thought through what being unable to read or write would remove from my life.
I know that God will reward her for her heart's expression and her desire to share that (through your willing and loving spirit) with her children.
Post a Comment