"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Monday, January 25, 2010

Three Meals, Nine Ways

When I do my weekly grocery shopping I think about possibilities for dinner, but most of the time I decide in the morning of the day of, what I will make.
There have been times, however, when it was necessary to think ahead and freeze meals. If you work and want to prepare homemade meals, it’s probably a given. Even so, we go through phases and stages such as preparing for coming home from the hospital, baseball seasons, driving the kids all over town for various lessons and games, preparing for family coming home or going away and leaving part of the family at home. Sometimes you just need to be more organized than other times.
I thought I would share a tad about taking a few hours to make freezer meals. It takes a bit of planning, but in the end, you save money and time. Planning meals creates less waste, because your meals are divided out according to servings and it saves a lot of clean up on the days that you serve something that you just re-heat.

So here’s one idea. You will need about 5 – 10 lbs of lean ground beef, depending on the size of your family. In these photos I used 5 pounds. I like to go to a local butcher and get it fresh and then divide it into three parts.

Part #1 – Mix up a batch of mini meatballs (1 ½ - 2 lbs will make about 75) (recipe) Bake them for 20 minutes, cool and divide into three small ziplock bags. These can quickly be added to meals such as your favorite spaghetti sauce, mushroom sauce (recipe) or covered with an apricot glaze.

Part # 2 – Place meat in large cooking pot, brown and make your favorite chili sauce. Let this simmer on low, while you continue. Cool and divide chili into three containers. This can be used for a meal of soft tacos (recipe), cornbread with chili or chili soup (recipe).

For part #3 – Cook ½ cup – 1 cup brown or white rice and mix a meat filling that will be divided up for three meals – filled peppers, porcupine balls and cabbage rolls, (recipe). I use the same filling and sauce for all three recipes.

I add a can of tomato soup to the sauce in the recipe or if you like you can just used tomato soup. I cook all three meals in roasters for about 60 – 75 minutes at 350F. Then I divide them into foil or Pyrex dishes to freeze. When I freeze meals, I like to know that they are cooked and only need to be heated.

If you have more time, add a large lasagna. Intersperse these meals with a crockpot meal, pizza, stir fries or pailards - all of which can be on the table quickly if the ingredients are on hand.


14 comments:

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

Very good tips, thanks! I've been more motivated lately to make freezer meals, b/c it makes life so much easier on the thaw/reheat end of things! Maybe you can show us a way to use chicken in a similar way. :-)

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I did a weeks worth of cooking like that and LOVED how easy it was to serve up meals later.
A woman here has started a service to teach women how to simplify meal planning. Monday is comfort food, Tues. Italian, Weds Mex, Thursday Meatless, Friday is Homemade pizza...always

charlotte mgcc said...

super ideas on meal planning Anneliese.
Thank you for sharing your tips.
I like to organize and plan my meals.
It just really does simplify my life.

ellen b. said...

I am so impressed! Everything looks great and organized. I'm craving some goluptsi now (stuffed cabbage rolls)!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific organizer you are. I love this idea and am very grateful you've done the basic planning work for us. I think one of my dishes here would be soup. I just have to have soup everyday.

The more you can give us tips like this the happier I will be. I have to be out doing volunteer work and exercising/walking everyday, and at my age, I'm sometimes too tired to prepare food when I come home. But really, I don't have this fantastic capability you do, or should I say, I seem to have lost it and need some help with that. Lucky me to have found your blog and your skill to match my need. Thank you SO much.

anon1

Anonymous said...

Anneliese I hope you don't mind me using your blog to send a msg to "Thoughts on Life and Millinery".

Dear TOLAM does the women you mention have her ideas online? I would love to know more.

Thank you
anon1

Jerri said...

This would make life so much easier. Thanks for the tips and maybe next week I'll prepare a few meals ahead of time....

Jerri

Lovella ♥ said...

I love this post Anneliese. .you should post it on MGCC too. .it's perfect for quick ideas. I can see that between you and Bev I really nee to add a "quick meal" label.

Bev K said...

Great ideas, Anneliese and so well organized and set out for us to follow. I'll be printing this up and sharing it at the workshop I'm doing at our church ladies event. Very apt timing! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

great tips! i often have meat balls on hand in the freezer because they are so versitile... i bet that daughter in law of yours has gotten some great freezer meals from her mil since shes been home from the hospital with that beautiful little bundle of joy :)

Karin said...

Great ideas! Cooking freezer meals was a life saver when all the kids were still at home and we were on the go all the time! Now, for just the two of us, I usually cook a meal for 4 and freeze 2 meals to be used a couple of weeks later. Well, today, dear hubby was so hungry - retirement is hard work you know - and he ate 2 of the 4 meals.... sigh....... lol

Judy said...

Great ideas, Anneliese. I agree that this post should be included somewhere on the MGCC blog.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I will pass this on to some young cooks I know....as it is inspiring to not only hear about doing this but to visually see it is more inspiring. It all looks so tasty. Kathy (MGCC)

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

Thanks Anneliese. I have *so* been enjoying all your tips on running a smooth and beautiful household. I feel like I missed out on having my own mother model this for me, and I have a lot to learn! Thank-you.
-de