Have you ever wondered where the term, going the extra mile, comes from? According to Frederick Bruner’s commentary on Matthew, during the time of the Roman Rule, a soldier could command a Jewish citizen to carry his load for one mile, and he was legally bound to do it. Now Jesus told his disciples that if this should happen, they should do an extra mile. In other words, “Do more than expected.”
In our town we've had church youth groups get involved in random acts of kindness. I’ve been in my car, maybe stopped at a light, and someone came running to my window to hand me a can of soda. We live in a funny world now where even acts of kindness are looked upon suspiciously. It’s not normal to show kindness, when nothing is expected in return.
Max Lucado, in talking about second milers, explains going the extra mile, as passing from slave to volunteer. “This is the joy of the second mile.” People who go the extra mile are not continually dreaming of Friday, the next holiday or even how they can reach top of the ladder first. They are not just trading favors. This takes self denial, but in doing so they find freedom.
How can I become a second miler? Jesus showed us by His example of a true servant’s attitude. Going the second mile involves doing something that is not expected of me and it may mean doing something for which I cannot get repaid.
2 comments:
I'm enjoying the beautiful baby photos~ And your daughter is one of the prettiest women I've seen who just delivered a baby!
Your post about 'the extra mile' and is so timely.
There's so much to say about this! ... simply to live in the present...
joyfully,
~Maria
Anneliese, I know people who regularly go the second mile and seeing the difference here today between random acts of kindness and doing a Christ like act. . is very different.
Thank you for the reminder and little lesson.
Post a Comment