"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shells, Ribbons and Pearls

We were having dinner with Kari and Ben when the subject of jewelry came up. In the conversation Kari came up with the idea that maybe Dad should buy her jewelry and Ben could buy mine! This is because she appreciates nice jewelry! She can glow with excitement at the mention of Tiffany's. I, on the other hand, have frustrated my dear H with the whole, “I’d rather have fashion jewelry” thing. Not that I don't appreciate some special timeless things, but I really like the easy, inexpensive come and go jewelry that changes things up.
So, I browse through the latest jewelry racks and get excited about a pair of earrings that go well with a certain dress, or a different twist on cute a necklace. So, for a fun post I thought I'd share what I've seen done with necklaces. Things anyone can do.

I bought a few yards of ribbon, got out some of my longer chains and changed them up a bit.

This is a choker made with a string of shells. I looped it several times, twisted it and then added the ribbon to tie it in the back.

A longer chain can also be folded once and tied with a coordinating color of ribbon.

I have an extra long sparkly chain from Indonesia and have enjoyed wearing it looped twice (still long) but looping it several times and adding the ribbon, gives it a totally new look.

This final collage may not quite do the idea justice, but I like the idea of mixing the old with the new. Pearls, really a timeless classic, have found their way back in again, and I like their simple elegance and reminders of the past. Who says you can't be classy and trendy at the same time?


9 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Anneliese. .you really are talented with fashion. I love your ideas. I'm more inclined to wear the pieces Terry gives me. Even when I buy fasion jewellrey it tends to sit. . so I guess we are all inclined one way or another. I love your look. .it's beautiful.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Hurray! I am constantly thinking that I wish a necklace was longer, or shorter or thicker etc. The idea of using ribbon is fabulous. Also it would simplify packing for trips, as one necklace could be altered as needed. THANK YOU for the great tip!

Judy said...

Great ideas, Anneliese. Now I must go see if I can re-purpose some of the unused pieces in my drawer.

Anonymous said...

You are so cleaver with your wardrobe...keep the ideas coming now and again. Kathy (MGCC)

Anonymous said...

Impressive:)Love your originality! I wear Kathy's fashion jewelry, and will have to try the ribbon idea. Thanks for sharing it:)

Julene said...

Beautiful, Mom :-)

Marg said...

I never thought about that...I'm like you...I have some timeless pieces, but I usually like the less expensive pieces, so that when I loose them, I don't feel quite so guilty.
I did loose my Mother's Indonesian chain...she always wore it and after she passed away, I took it off of her and one day I lost it at work..
What a shame....
Thanks for always bringing my heart back to Indonesia.
My husband watched Ben in waiting last night at the game.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for these ideas! I will have to try some of these with my own jewelry.

Have a great day!

Amanda Barkey said...

thought you might find this interesting!
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/jewelry-and-jewelry-storage